Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finishing the Race and helping others do the same








Today I was reading about Derek Redmond, and later this evening I found this video on the internet as I was playing around. I remember watching parts of this on TV when it actually happened but never really thought about it. Reading about this event today, I learned a lot of things. I learned that Derek trained many years and worked very hard. I learned that when his hamstring snapped and he could no longer run on his on, his father came from the top of the stadium to run through security and defy them so that he could get to his son and help him finish the race. He was not trying to get him off the track, he was trying to help him finish the race. He gave his strength when his child had no more. It is not unlike how our own Heavenly father is willing to help us. . He doesn't want us to stop this race. He doesn't want us to just give our second best. We may not win first prize in this world's eyes but if we are running it for Him then we will definitely win the race.

Today I had the most amazing meeting with one of my friends. We haven't know one another very long. But we have some things in common that God has brought us together. She has been in a wheelchair for a long time. I spent four years in one. A lot of the spinal issues can be the same. A lot of the frustrations and pains can be the same. She loves to read; she loves to write; she loves to worship; she loves to help others. Today we spent a lot of time talking and sharing with one another. She has an amazing heart for God and loves Him in such a unique and inspirational way that is hard to explain in words. The spirit is just so exuberant in her. It is Incredible! She took some time today to hold me accountable on my race. She wanted me to finish the race and gave me a part of her loving spirit today. Thanks for everything Kelly. If you would like to see the amazing work she is doing then go to The Neighboorhood which is listed to the right or go to Keeping It Real. You can also see her new book at Living the Call .Kelly reminds me of someone like Derek Redmond who refuses to quit. She is willing to help others.


" Therefore, strengthen the hands
that are weak and the knees that
are feeble, and make straight paths
for your feet, so that the limb which
is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather healed."

Hebrews 12:12-13,
(NASB)

No comments: