Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hiding Place


"I love Thee, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be
praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death encompassed me, 
and the torrents of ungodliness terrified me.
The cords of Sheol surrounded me;
The snares of death confronted me. 
In my distress I called upon
the Lord, and cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice out of His temple,
and my cry for help before Him came 
into His ears."
Psalm 18:1-6
(NASB)

This has to be one of my favorite Psalm. David ran from the hand of Saul for many years. Saul had his soldiers pursue David for years through the many mountains in the region. Though at times David became very worn out and exhausted He believed in God and believed He would deliver Him with all of his heart. Many times David cried out to God. God was stated to be his "rock, fortress, and deliverer." A rock is solid and in this case created a fortress in the mountain that consitently hid David from the enemy. 
I have found myself recently crying out this passage praying for God to be my hiding place as the enemy seeks to destroy and demolish things in my life. I have found myself having to remind myself, as David did that God had rescued Him once, twice, many times before and this time was no different. God doesn't change! He is the same yesterday, today, and will be the same tomorrow. When things in my life get out of control my natural instinct is to go in search of a defense mechanism to my life around me, but the more I learn about God, the better I feel about being out of control in some ways because that means I can allow Him  and will allow Him to be in control and I will accept and live by His sovereignty. This is not something for me to be scared of anymore. Thanks to Christ it is something I can rejoice in. It doesn't mean I don't stress, or have a bad day, or still have human instincts and fleshly desires. It only means that God is here If I am willing to let Him be sufficient for me. 


No comments: