Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fighting the Unseen


Over the years I have loved the Precious Moments figurines. This one seen here is one of my favorites. It looks so sweet. But inside I know the battle it represents is so much more. It is no where near a childlike battle that we fight. The bible tells us that

"Our battle is not against
flesh and blood, but against the rulers, the authorities, against the powers
of this dark world and against the spiritual forces in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)
This is not a small or pretty childlike story that we tell our children in Sunday school or children's church. It is a bloody battle for souls where lives are being lost every day. Yet, this is an unseen battle that most don't take seriously or even believe in because they feel they can't actively participate in it. If we sat still for a moment and really took notice of things in our own lives we would see that we are in the battle actively everyday. We just are choosing not to use the tools given to us to win the battle. For many years I thought this same way. I lived in fear of many things. Then a friend began sending me certain verses from the Bible and asked me to repeat these everyday and remember them. I didn't really understand why at the time. The first one was 2 Tim 1:7 " For God did not give me a spirit of fear but a spirit of power, of love, and of self discipline." Then she sat down with me and began to show me what she called pieces of armor. She explained about the battle. I was reluctant to believe it though. Hey I couldn't see it, so why believe it? I was having a hard enough time with God at the time. This whole protection thing wasn't settling in with me. As I spoke earlier in the post titled "Trust" when someone has been vulnerable and then hurt very badly they have a hard time with relationships and this carries over to their relationship with God. That relationship is no different in this aspect. She showed me each piece of the armor and explained it's purpose.

  • Helmet of Salvation
  • Belt of Truth Buckled around your waist
  • Breastplate of Righteousness
  • Feet are fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace
  • Shield of Faith
  • Sword of the Spirit, Word of God
  • Satan is a deceiver and known to lie. He likes to mess with our thoughts. Therefore God gave us something to protect our head.
  • If we hold that belt of truth tight around our waist then we will always have something to hold us up.
  • The Breastplate covers the core of our being... the chest, the heart. Proverbs 4:23 says "Above all else guard your heart, it is the wellspring of life."
  • God tells us to always be ready no matter where we go to spread His word and do it in peace for we never know when He will come. He gives us the shoes to do this with.
  • The shield of faith allows us a way to protect ourselves from the arrows that the dark world throws at us.
  • These are all offensive pieces of armor but He does give us a defensive piece of armor when He gives us His word to fight with as a sword. It cuts deep! Satan can not run from it. Yes he knows it but he does not live by it or respect it. He does not BELIEVE in it.
Put these pieces of armor on. Say them aloud. It is not easy especially when you don't have much strength to do so. But....
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I
will boast all the more gladly about my
weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

2 Corinthians 12:9-10(NIV)

also

"The Lord will fight for you;
you need only be still."
Exodus 14:14 (NIV)


Remember when fighting the unseen you do have the tools and you do have someone on your side who will never leave you.



No comments: