Monday, March 2, 2009

Always Satisfied

I arrived late and informed the employee at the door that I was with the DJ. She placed an "age verified" bracelet around my left wrist. I walked around the corner and there was an open bay to the building. The music was loud and the lighting low. The air was smokey. I had been in a bar before but not one quite like this. It had a pole in the right hand corner that is usually used for strip dancing. My first thought was "do I really want to be here?" I walked in and found the DJ booth to the right of me. I proceeded to walk behind it. I wasn't really there to dance or do a great deal of mingling. I just wanted to spend some time with a friend and observe. The longer I sat the more people poured in. The air became more smokey and the temperature in the room began to raise. People were dancing and yelling. It was loud. Men and women acted as if they were having sex on the dance floor. The more they drank, the more intense the moves became. Some of them had just met that night. They all seemed to be having a "good" time. The more I thought about this, I began to think of my own past and how things can sometimes seem fun, and even may fill a need at the moment, but the next few hours go by or the next day comes and the need is once again unmet. Yes we can say the feelings were worth it, but were they honestly worth the feeling you have now. The night life brings a momentary high that always crashes in the end. Our loneliness come back and we try to find an even bigger high the next time through drugs or sex thinking it may last longer, but it doesn't. The hole is still there and still empty inside of us. Now on top of the loneliness is usually hurt, anger, confusion, and frustration. There is only One that can fill that hole and keep you satisfied. It is Jesus Christ. 

"Blessed are those who hunger

and thirst for righteousness,

for they shall be satisfied"

Matthew 5:6

(NASB)

"Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this

water will be thirsty again, but whoever

drinks the water I give will never be thirsty. 

The water I give will become a spring of

water gushing up inside that person, 

giving eternal life."

John 4:13-14

(NCV)

God can always satisfy us! Do we need to wait until we are clean and stop doing the things we have been doing before we come to Him though? NO! The great thing is that He loves us just where we are. He gives this love as a free gift.  Some people think we have to stop living at to a big point at the moment of coming to Him. They think we have to do a lot of  "do's" and "don'ts". This is not the case. Yes God wants us to live a clean and righteous life, but God never intended us to live legalistically or to live by other people's standards. What we don't see is that when we accept Him and grow in Him we learn to change and love in a better way and we want to do more for Him. The more time I spend with Him, the more I get to know Him and the more I want to live for Him. The more I need Him and that need is always satisfied. The darkness of the night or the darkness inside of us will never withstand His light. 

No comments: