Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bowing to One Master


The Christmas Season is now officially upon us. The tree is trimmed, the stockings are hung, the gifts are being wrapped, and the lists are being checked. We are looking back on a year that is soon to end and wondering if we did everything we could or wanted to in the time we had. Christmas is a time to give and in doing so search our hearts in how we give.

Do I believe in Santa? Of course I do! The magic of Christmas given to me as a child will always live in my heart. I love to be surprised on Christmas morning with presents that I never expected to get from someone. I love to watch the eyes of a child who has never gotten Christmas presents from anyone, get the one thing they have always wanted, or to get anything that was on their list.

But who do I serve at Christmas? Jesus! Even Santa knows that one. My heart can only belong to one master.

"No one can serve two masters; for either
he will hate the one and love the
other, or he will hold to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and money."
Matthew 6:24 (NASB)

When I am giving this Christmas, what will my motives be? Who will I be serving? Am I looking to see if I can buy the most presents or out spend someone? Who am I bowing to?

"Every Knee will bow, Every tongue confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord."
even Santa's

No comments: