Friday, August 8, 2008

Bedtime Stories

When we think of bedtime stories we usually want to think of fantasies that are read to us or told to us to get us to go to sleep at night. We want to think of something that is comforting and soothing. Sleeping at night is something I have had trouble doing off and on for some time now. It is just something that has always been a constant with me. Well recently I have really been trying to work on my sleep patterns. This morning I could not figure out though why God would send me to Psalms 4 to read as a story to read for today. You see I have been slowly reading through the Bible but this morning I read in Psalms 1-4 but Chapter 4 stuck to me like glue. I began to go online to e-sword.net which is a free Bible study software. God began showing a little more about these verses:

"Answer me when I call to you, o my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my
prayer.

How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?

Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
the Lord will hear when I call to him.

In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.

Offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord.

Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord,

You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

Now you see in this bedtime story David is being chased by Absalom and lots of men wanting to kill him. I don't know about you but that wouldn't make my day much less my night soothing. But the more I read the more I realized that God was trying to tell me that if I wanted to be soothed that I was going to have to do some work and actually trust Him enough to let go of some things so that I could actually relax. You see in this passage David was being chased and he points out to the people by asking them "Just how long are you going to try to take my glory and turn it into shame?" His point was that no matter how hard they tried God's plan was going to prevail and their efforts eventually would be in vain and he believed this without a doubt. David had such confidence in God's power and God's plans for him that he rested easy at night no matter how many men were out there in the dark looking for him wanting to shred him to little pieces. His fears did not rule his life or take away his slumber at night. He wanted them to see that they could run after many things in life materially or by running after their false gods but all of this would be in vain in the end. David begins to point out his own joys and the many times God has been there in the past. He cries to God and ask for the same kinds of mercies once again.

I know God has many times given me a peaceful gentle sleep. I know there are many things I need to release into His hands today so that I can have that peace again. More importantly... Knowing the confidence in God's power and His plan for me is what I truly want to not just know but want to experience today.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Flowers said...

Thank you Amy for sharing this with me. I too have been studying the Bible a little more these days, trying to figure out what it is the Lord wants me to do. Not ever trusting totally in anyone this has been quite a task for me. So I have been praying and reading daily, sometimes all day just to gain some kind of peace and direction in my life.
Your a true friend and I thank God our friendship.
God Bless
Liz